Crafting provides a great way to spend time with children while enjoying a fun activity together. Following some simple tips can make it a fun experience for everyone. We hope you will put some of the following suggestions to use.
- Find the craft that children want to make and then make a list of all the supplies you will need to make the craft.
- If you do not have everything on hand add the supplies you need to your shopping list so you will not forget them.
- Put a plastic tablecloth down where you will be crafting.
- Have all supplies laid out before you announce craft time.
- Use non-toxic paints and glues.
- Have wet wipes and paper towels handy for spills.
- Always try to have extra supplies in case something is lost or torn.
- Let them wear old clothes so you will not be stressed out over ruining what they are wearing.
- Show children how to do the craft but let them do it in their way. If you insist on it being perfect, then you might as well do the craft yourself and forget about having craft time with your children. It also makes the children think that everything has to be perfect and that their best is not good enough. Sometimes little hands need help, but you know you have gone too far when you are the only one left at the craft table.
- Have fun! Don’t worry about a little paint on their hands & faces, take pictures instead.
We hope you will try these suggestions for stress-free craft time with your children. Show them how to have fun; they will learn how to be stressed out way too soon anyway.